Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sexual Organ Care - A

So Blogger freaked out and moved a post I edited up above the first one I posted. So here's a direct link to the other post about today.

I couldn't go on posting about sexy stories, ideas, or other sweet somethings with a clear conscience if I did not give some sex ed beforehand. I believe any platform should be used to spread a message relevant to the medium being used, and a sex blog seems the perfect place to share some sexual education knowledge.

I am going to start with education directed at the broadest possible crowd, moving on over time to more specific. I will try my best to keep everything as gender/orientation/relationship neutral, but please don't be alarmed if I address specific situations. If the circumstances I am describing do not pertain to you, please read it over and make an attempt to think creatively and apply the messages to your life. As always with blogs on the internet, I am not a doctor. I am not YOUR doctor. I am in no way responsible for your choices, and please consult your own medical professionals and/or best judgement before making any decisions based off of the information I am writing. That being said, I am going to do my best to keep to proven medical information and not my own opinion, at least about safety and health. Pleasure may be a different story, however.

I am going to start at the broadest possible level. I am going to assume you have some basic sex knowledge, and if not I am planning an audio/written comprehensive sex education post for later. But the broadest level I can even begin to think about is genital care. Contraceptives, STI prevention, and general safety is targeted at people having sex/multiple partners/planning on having or not having children. But nearly everyone has sexual organs on their bodies, and should care for them.

The first part of care is establishing a baseline. Look at your genitals and examine them regularly. Take notice of colors, smells, textures, and appearance. Use a mirror, or your phone's camera to see all the different parts of your sexual organs. You may miss some indicators of health (or beauty!) if you ignore this.

Examine them both in the shower and later in the day, to establish a baseline. If anything seems off, hurts, smells funny, has strange lumps, rashes, sores, or looks unhealthy, seeing a doctor would be a good idea. Don't be afraid to talk with a doctor. A good medical professional will be just that: professional. They are there to make sure your body is healthy, and your genital health is a part of that. If they make you feel uncomfortable in any way, leave and tell someone. They may be able to find you another doctor in the facility or recommend another doctor for you. Nervousness is okay, but being made uncomfortable isn't.

Once you are familiar with your genitals, caring for them is your next step. Gentle cleaning will help prevent skin issues and bacterial buildup.

For men, gently wash your whole scrotum and surrounding areas with warm water and your hands or a washcloth. If you feel like you need to use soap, please use one made for sensitive areas and avoid getting it in your urethra. If you have any foreskin (skin that covers the glans of the penis or any loose skin surrounding the head of your penis), pull it back and wash it and the areas it covers thoroughly. This will prevent bacterial buildup. Your penis should be washed thoroughly at least once a day, even if you do not shower that day.

For women, gently wash your vulva and surrounding areas with warm water and a washcloth. The use of soap is debated, but if you do decide to use it please use some made for sensitive areas. You should gently wash your outer labia and any areas it covers thoroughly with warm water. You should also wash your inner labia separately, and the immediate area inside of the vaginal opening with warm water. There is no need to wash out the entire vaginal canal with your fingers or a douche. Any folds or areas of skin that are covered by your labia and clitoral hood should be washed thoroughly. Your vulva and related areas should be washed 1-2 times a day, regardless of if you shower that day or not.

For both sexes, when you are finished washing your genitals and surrounding areas, gently pat them dry with a soft, dry towel. Fully drying the areas you washed will ensure the skin stays healthy. I personally use a small amount of neutral, unscented, plain silicone lubricant made for sex if I feel like my scrotum feels dry after I am done cleaning. I have never had any issues, and I recommend it to any men or women who feel their genitals are too dry after caring for them.

Avoid any rough materials touching your genitals, and try not to hit them or harm them in any way when going through your day. Do not allow anything to restrict blood flow to them, or wear anything that is too constricting on them.

Use lubricant for all sexual contact including masturbation, and keep fingernails trimmed to avoid any small cuts.

Now go and give your sexual organs some love. They deserve it.




No comments:

Post a Comment